“To support behavior change to prevent and treat diabetes in the Hualapai community.”
The Hualapai Diabetes Prevention Program manages the community Fitness Center and provides basic health assessments and personalized fitness programs, which may include guidance on use of the exercise equipment and/or healthy eating choices. We also organize healthy community activities that include health promotion events such as the annual diabetes conference, regular exercise classes, walking opportunities, weight loss programs for the community, regular health screenings at the Senior Center and at tribal worksites, and managing and staffing an annual youth healthy lifestyle summer camp. Other healthy community activities include supporting annual community based events such as coordinating healthy walk/runs to compliment the annual Mother-Daughter Gathering, tribal employee picnic, and Red Ribbon week as well as the horseshoe tournament as part of the annual Sobriety Festival.
Services are free to Tribal Members, Tribal Employees & Community Members, but membership required. A diabetes prevention assessment application [DOC] must be filled out. In some cases a doctor’s release may be necessary. The fitness center is located at 930 Rodeo Way, behind the tribal gymnasium.
FITNESS CENTER RULES
- Sign in and out.
- No Playing on Equipment. (Take workouts serious)
- Always wear safety clip when on treadmills.
- Do not mess with big TV on the wall.
- Wipe down all equipment after usage.
- No cups of water on equipment, water bottles are okay.
- No foul language.
- Emma Clark, Program Manager
- Chira Walema, Fitness Specialist I
- Juwan Walker, Fitness Specialist III
- Torrey Tapija, Fitness Specialist II